"I cleave the heavens, and soar to the infinite. What others see from afar, I leave far behind me." Giordano Bruno (1548 – February 17, 1600)

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Value of a Test for Diabetes – Why I Have My Sugar Levels Tested.

When enough people care about autism or diabetes or global warming, it helps everyone, even if only a tiny fraction actively participate 
 Seth Goden

The Archies - Sugar, Honey, Honey

I don’t usual post this type of thing to this blog. This is not the idea behind this one. However as yet I still need to positively develop the blog that will cover this type of topic. Here it goes anyway.

Today we had free diabetes testing provided by the VIC Medical Services where I work in Vienna. Taking advantage of the offer, I decided to have mine sugar levels tested this week instead of waiting until my next visit to my doctor.

REWARD: Personal Retractable Tape measure :) (I just love useful freebies)
RESULTS: In 3 days
EXTRA: BMI (Body Mass Index) calculation with a nifty apparatus that does it all electronically:-
Weight: 54.6 Kg (dressed).
            Height:  154 cm (without shoes).
            BMI: 24 (normal range J)

Happy with the weight as this result fits my goal was to be less than 55 kg. Always felt healthier at this level. I had thought I was smaller in height but at other times when it was measured it was generally by manual means. Happy to finally have it settled. Needless to say I still need to buy Petites. BMI is at a wonderful level. Good things come in small packages. We are also environmentally friendly – we create less impact on natural resources ;).

So why do I have my sugar levels tested? My Grandfather died from falling into a diabetic coma in 1927, four months after the birth of my Dad. We have no record of what type of diabetes this was – Type I or Type II. He was in his later 20s. The first use of animal-sourced insulin occurred in 1922 but of course did not come into common usage until much later, so my Grandfather wouldn’t have access to this type of treatment. The synthesis of the type of insulin we have today didn’t occur until the 1970s.

Daddy was diagnosed with Type II diabetes around 2003. I remember this vividly as I was working in Germany at the time and the distance caused excess worry. He coped very well in the years left to him, managing his diabetes with stoicism and aplomb. For over a decade Daddy was able to witness changes into how diabetes in handled today, from stick regimes to a more balanced relatively liberal diet along with of course the twice daily blood tests and insulin shots.

So for the two above reasons I get tested. You do not have to have a history of diabetes in your, like I do, to be afflicted by or develop this condition. I recommend everyone gets their insulin levels tested regularly. It is worth it to have peace of mind by ensuring that you are free of diabetes. Diabetes is a silent condition, which can lurk hidden causing unseen health damage before it flares becoming an immediate critical risk. Cruising through the net for a simple explanation on diabetes, I found this page, from a website called Medical New Today that includes a nice voice over explaining both Type I and Type II diabetes as well as Gestational diabetes. Make it a point to get you levels tested at least annually. If you haven’t had a test please bring it up the next time you visit your medical practitioner. 

SO now I have had my lay persons vent on the importance of having your sugar levels tested, I will sit back and wait for my results. My BMI stats work well to ensure I am at low risk. Fingers crossed that the sugars levels remain normal with a good BMI report card.

And a little bit of serious fun with the old Archies number featured above:


Research and reference credits to WikipediaYou Tube and Medical NewsToday . MNT appear to share an anniversary with me. I have a very dear friend who believes in Serendipity perhaps this coincidence and the number which I was allocated in line has meaning for me. Maybe the cosmic cylinders clicked into place with the right encouragement to write this blog post.

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment